Wednesday, July 22, 2026

Independence Day

Nothing quite makes you miss home as much as a special holiday usually full of family gatherings and celebrations. I went into the end of June slightly dreading the upcoming 4th of July because it just symbolized, quite boldly, the beautiful country and home I wasn’t in. It made the homesickness kick in with a vengeance. I decided that maybe instead of wallowing in sadness and homesickness, I could instead bring a little bit of my beautiful America to Ghana!

I decided to ask some friends to come and join us for a little Independence Day dinner. I was able to make hot dogs, what they call sausages here, homemade hotdog buns, potato salad, baked beans, macaroni salad, and chickpea cucumber salad. Doris made some BBQ pork, which I learned does not in fact have BBQ sauce on it, but is just meaning it is grilled. Still delicious though! For dessert I made chocolate depression cake and homemade brownies, with some watermelon on the side. It felt like how we celebrate with my grandparents every year and felt like a wonderful sharing of myself with the community. 


We invited all the Dutchies, Annemiek (On-a-meek), Claire, Marlieke (Mar-leek-a), and Sophie. We also invited fellow coworkers at the hospital and many others who have made us feel at home and safe here in Ghana. The Ghanaians finished their plates, which could mean they liked it or they are trying to not be rude. Some went for seconds and even thirds so I think that they enjoyed it. Fingers crossed. I know for a fact that the chocolate cake was a hit. Many said that they want to learn to make it and that I needed to make it for their birthdays. 





U, our neighbor, tried mustard for the first time. She quickly learned it is quite bitter and not her favorite to eat at all. She looked at me astounded that something so bitter wasn’t expired or bad and enjoyed by a whole country! 




My favorite part was getting to share about my typical 4th of July shenanigans. How we celebrate at my grandparents and now how we have the addition of the hootenanny at my Aunt Jessica’s with Hillbilly Olympics. They all seemed to enjoy the stories of past celebrations I shared. We also got to hear stories from the Dutchies about King’s Day where they celebrate their King’s birthday. They said it is probably the closest thing they have to an Independence Day type celebration. We also got to hear from the Ghanaians about their many celebrations such as their Independence Day in March as well as their July holiday of becoming a republic. I dubbed everyone honorary Americans for the day which had everyone laughing! It truly was a blessedly wonderful day that I will cherish forever.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Independence Day

Nothing quite makes you miss home as much as a special holiday usually full of family gatherings and celebrations. I went into the end of Ju...